Nudity

How does respawning work in this game? Do you come back to life at some sort of monument? If so, why don't we just have some form of keeper at the monument give you some sort of plain clothing when you resurrect? I don't know how nudity would be handled between waking up and talking to the keeper dude, but hey, it's a suggestion.

How does respawning work in this game? Do you come back to life at some sort of monument? If so, why don't we just have some form of keeper at the monument give you some sort of plain clothing when you resurrect? I don't know how nudity would be handled between waking up and talking to the keeper dude, but hey, it's a suggestion.
The respawn system is being kept under wraps (as far as I know). There are threads on the topic though.

BigT2themax

Insider
The respawn system is being kept under wraps (as far as I know). There are threads on the topic though.
The storyline-related parts are, yeah, but we know how things are going to work gameplay-wise.

You lose all your equipment and such on death, and get a new body (your old body has all your stuff), so, if BM are looking to make things realistic and whatnot, then yeah, they could make you wake up wherever it is you revive at in your birthday suit.

However, they'll probably just make it so you keep your undies or whatever. I'm pretty sure the devs have already spoken about how they're not going to have any nudity in the game.

mcmanusaur

In my humble opinion, there are many more games that nudity would add nothing to than games that nudity adds something to, and I've not seen anything to suggest that Sui Generis is in the latter camp.

calithlin

Insider
In my humble opinion, there are many more games that nudity would add nothing to than games that nudity adds something to, and I've not seen anything to suggest that Sui Generis is in the latter camp.
Ex: The nude / soft-core sex scene in the Witcher 2... it was so out of place it was almost jarring why the developers would have spent all that time shoe-horning it into the game.

Not to mention the absurd sex trading card mechanic in the first game that scene was (I assume) an homage to...

mcmanusaur

Ex: The nude / soft-core sex scene in the Witcher 2... it was so out of place it was almost jarring why the developers would have spent all that time shoe-horning it into the game.

Not to mention the absurd sex trading card mechanic in the first game that scene was (I assume) an homage to...
Precisely. For something like nudity or sex, you have to be sending a message that you couldn't communicate by any other means, and in The Witcher it just seems like they're using it as just another way to reinforce the notion that their protagonist is a badass/stud.

Oona

Insider
Since we're talking about sex now and not nudity, I have to say I think that was done tastefully in Dragon Age Origins.

I personally don't see why nudity always seems like such a big deal.

We have a very in-depth clothing mechanism in the inventory, with layered clothing and all.
Having pants and undershirts (Wouldn't go for a bra at all) as well only makes sense.
And if we remove them, there should be nothing underneath.

I always found artificial layers of undergarment to be pointless.
You put off layer and layer of clothes, and you end up naked. So what?
That's how it works.

Just because someone is in the nude doesn't make him offensive, raunchy, or perverted. Just a nude person. Kids will not be shocked and traumatised by seeing a nude person, and adults won't be either. It's what you DO with your nakedness, your intent, that gives potential for being offensive, not the the fact that you are indeed naked.

So I'm all for having nude characters when all clothes are removed. Because hey, people ARE naked when they remove all their clothes. Simple as that.

ZaratanCho

Insider
After watching the new video this topic came to mind and i have to completely aggree with Elric

Well, I'm always for complete freedom.
We're going to have that layered clothes system, so underwear should be no different than other layers, you should be able to get rid of that underwear layer just like you are able to get rid of your helmet.

Simply because... one COULD remove their underwear if they feel like it.
So give the player the choice. Along with well written dialogue consequences.
Oh, and of course one would be very, very vulnerable to weapons when... wearing nothing at all.
On the other hand it is kind of pathetic how this is such a big deal, it is just a body. Shows the level of maturity in society, not much of it there if any.

About sex i care even less about it (and i couldn't even watch the cutscene in ME, though i have my reasons, and in The Witcher 1 was pretty bad forcing you into random sex out of nowhre) but if you are making a free game, i guess you should have such choices, somewhere, somehow. I don't know maybe one day. Haha

Edit: Indeed, having some mysterious underwear glued to your ass is, a bit weird.

Empire²

Insider
Edit: Indeed, having some mysterious underwear glued to your ass is, a bit weird.
That's not how it works for you guys? I might want to get that checked...

I'd agree on allowing the player to do it if they so desire. It could be quite humorous when you approach a merchant to buy something, and they ask if you could perhaps put on some clothes.

Of course, there is no real advantage to it. It'd be purely a feature that is there for completion's sake, and would probably make you absolutely lose it in certain situations.

BrecMadak

Insider
Just because someone is in the nude doesn't make him offensive, raunchy, or perverted. Just a nude person. Kids will not be shocked and traumatised by seeing a nude person, and adults won't be either. It's what you DO with your nakedness, your intent, that gives potential for being offensive, not the the fact that you are indeed naked.
Especially this paragraphy, couldn't have put any better than myself. The more you try to hide, the more it gonna attract attention simple as that.

I couldn't stop myself giggling, it was hilarous when I see in the new video you turn character's back just solely not to show breasts of the character as if, they would right jump off from screen and your audiance is made of children...

This won't be the first game that gonna show explicity (if ever) or whatnot, so what ?

What's the matter with you all huh ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pEezpi9g6_w#t=77

tiny lampe

Insider
it was hilarous when I see in the new video you turn character's back just solely not to show breasts of the character as if, they would right jump off from screen and your audiance is made of children...
Oh but they would have. If BareMettle had showed the woman's naked torso, I'm convinced people would have made a fuss out of it. I remember an early video from the Witcher II in which Geralt escapes from a prison cell. The video showcased stealth mechanics (extinguishing torches, incapacitating enemies...), some melee combat and dialogue. One could hardly have guessed any of that by looking at the comments of the video though, because a LOT of them were about breasts; one-liners about the video depicting breasts. Conservative people claiming that breasts added nothing to the game, liberal people countering by saying that people shouldn't make a fuss out of it. In one way or another, it was breasts, breasts and breasts. And all of this because of a 2-second clip in a cutscene that showed a female prisoner partially naked. Personally I find it slightly infuriating how people are so willing to ignore the point of the video (stealth mechanics) just because of 'lol boobies'. So I applaud BareMettle's decision to turn the character around as she was changing clothes. I think it helped immensely to keep people's attention where it should be.

Fresh

Insider
I don't get offended by nudity, but I also think Bare Mettle did right by turning the female character in the video around - just to avoid, as said above, the YouTube comment section to be filled with "boobie" comments. I can't say I put much thought to the nudity aspect of the game, and it makes me laugh to be honest that there's 5 pages running discussing it. It's not like you'd like to fight without armor in a already challenging game anyway?

ZaratanCho

Insider
Why do you connect everything with fighting, the game is not just fighting. Just as making an rpg where you can play it without fighting (I think in the new torment they said they want to have the freedom of progressing without fighting/killing). If this is going to be just a fighting game.. sure.

This aspect can open up alot of deep options and possibilities(on top of all the basic common sense reasons above), too vast to explain easily and make my point, many ways to look at it, as most things. And some things are unclear still.

Anyway, enough of this. ;d

mcmanusaur

People complain about not having nudity because "it's the player's intent that makes it bad"... so well, what's your intent in wanting nudity in the game anyway? What do you intend to do nude? Probably nothing worth encouraging. Glad we've settled that, and by the way I'm generally a liberal person (before we start making assumptions). If Bare Mettle put nudity in the game I'm not going to complain, but I think the fact that there are so many people who go out of their way to request that nudity is included is very telling, since there is ostensibly no practical reason for it to be included with regard to the playing of the game.

Oona

Insider
LOL. Just because there are no "practical" reasons for something, doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.
Besides, it only makes sense. When you strip a person you've killed off their armour, logically, they aren't going to be wearing anything. Neither will you be wearing anything if you're removing armour to wear something else, or just to play as a feral, barbarian, or streak in the village- why the heck not?

Empire²

Insider
LOL. Just because there are no "practical" reasons for something, doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.
Besides, it only makes sense. When you strip a person you've killed off their armour, logically, they aren't going to be wearing anything. Neither will you be wearing anything if you're removing armour to wear something else, or just to play as a feral, barbarian, or streak in the village- why the heck not?
Exactly. What do my usual weekends mean to you!?

mcmanusaur

Well, as long as you're acknowledging that the only practical reason to include nudity is immature shenanigans that may or may not fall under the pretense of "roleplaying", that's your prerogative. I was simply addressing the claim that "it's intent that makes nudity immature"; if there's no conceivable intent in using it that doesn't make it immature (offer one if you disagree) then I think it's safe to say that intent isn't the operative variable.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.