The Effects of Physique?

Bullethead

[URL='http://www.baremettle.com/forums/index.php?threads/physique-code-saving.2617/']Iskander's thread about saving physiques got me playing with different physiques to see if I could really notice any gameplay differences. My main goal was to isolate the effects of moving the crosshairs in different directions, and also trying to see how height played into that. So I ran a lot of experiments in the novice arena (which I haven't beaten yet but I'm getting closer) with characters where the crosshairs were against the edge graph in different places.

I'm still quite new at this so am very curious to see if my observations match those of more experienced players.

SET-UP
As a control, I started with a guy of medium height and the crosshair dead center in the graph. Then I tried the top left corner (strong and skinny), top right corner (strong and fat), bottom right (weak and fat), and bottle left (weak and skinny), all medium height. Then repeated with the shortest height, then the tallest height. Then I tried using the centers of the edges where the center cross lines terminate, so left (skinny, average strength), top (strong, average frame), right (fat, average strength), and bottom (weak, average frame), with all 3 heights.

I fought all the foes using the same armor upgrades from the vanquished and always used the same weapons on the same foes, as follows:

• #1: 1H sword and buckler vs. spiked club
  • #2: 1H sword and buckler vs. sickle pole arm
  • #3: 2H sword vs. spiked mace and buckler
  • #4: spiked mace and buckler vs. maul
  • #5: 2H sword vs. battle axe and square shield
  • #6: 2H sword vs. 2H sword

Because you get to keep your armor even if you die as long as you keep playing, after my control guy started from scratch, the other runs were all made with trophy armor (mostly from #4 and #5). This helped make sure I could get everybody to the same point (dying quite handily to #6). I do suck at this so sometimes died before then, in which case I repeated that run a time or 2, until I convinced myself it just wasn't going to work with that physique.

RESULTS

Effects of Strength (top half of graph)
Strong characters can cause bloody hits with weak, imperfect swings that would just be thumps or even harmless from a weaker character. Strong characters can push the foe around with easy, whether by grappling or with a weapon. Blocks seem less porous and the character doesn't lose balance as badly when he misses a swing so is less vulnerable to a counterattack. Strong characters are slower in everything (moving, swinging, blocking) but don't seem slowed by heavier armor as much as weaker characters.

Effects of Weakness (bottom half of graph0
This really isn't as bad as it sounds. The character is fast to swing, fast to block, and fast to step. The speed of swings allows for lots of bloody hits, at least with light weapons. However, heavy armor takes a lot of this speed away and the character can be pushed around reasonably easily, especially if the foe has leverage from doing the pushing with a weapon. The character also loses balance badly when missing with a heavy weapon.

Effects of Fat (right half of graph)
This is really a bad idea, at least when carried to extremes like I was doing. The character is slow, not just in the motions of attack, block, and step, but also in rotation to face the cursor. The rate of fire of attacks is also reduced significantly. However, the character can bullrush the foes and push them wherever, but if he misses, the foe will be behind him and he won't be able to turn around quickly. This leads to some funny scenes where the character is making attacks behind his back due to the cursor pointing at the enemy. The character also seems to be able to take a few more hits.

Effects of Skinniness (left half of graph)
The character is very fast and doesn't seem to lose much of this from armor, and rotates instantly. However, he can get tossed around like a ragdoll, is easy for the enemy to knock over, and loses more balance when missing. Also, skinny characters don't seem able to take quite as much damage as heavier characters.

Effects of Height
Interestingly, I had better results with shorter statures. Tall characters, regardless of their body frame, are slow, gangly, and difficult to control. They flop badly in all directions, like they get harmonic shakes, which slows down everything they try to do. They don't move, attack, block, or rotate with any speed. This more than negates any advantage of longer reach. Medium height doesn't have these problems but no real advantages, either. But short guys seem quick. Further, they often swing under the foes' defenses and strike the lightly protected legs. In addition, they don't seem to have any disadvantage from shorter reach and in fact, in certain situations, this gives them an advantage. They can get good hits with a 2H sword from inside the swing of the foe.

CONCLUSION
Dwarves rule :). Go with short, then some combination of strong and/or skinny.

Is that what you all are seeing?[/URL]

-Tim-

Insider
Very interesting, nice experiment. I almost always play with the same body type, so I'd have to conduct some of my own testing to see if get similar results. The next patch (currently in beta) will bring quite a few changes to turn speed and animations, so these things are somewhat subject to change.

Bullethead

The next patch (currently in beta) will bring quite a few changes to turn speed and animations, so these things are somewhat subject to change.
Then I guess I'll have to do this again when I get the new version :). Not having seen an update release before, what's the usual time for beta? A few weeks?

Murf

Tall beefy guys/gals I like to use twitch the sledge and such, lots of short guys their reach is not very good. Course I am a story player and focus mainly there. Later on, the fatter guys will also be able to have the fat absorb some of the dmg,. Skinny guys cant hit very hard, or as hard as non skinny ones.

Makes sense that in a game that utilizes all aspects of physics that a characters physique will have an affect on gameplay.

Bullethead

@ Murf:
Whether arena or story, I'm pretty sure the physics affect a character with a given physique (frame + height) the same way. By testing this in the arena against a known set of adversaries using known equipment, you can isolate the effects of your own physique variables and thereby get some guidance on what is probably most advantageous for your story character.

Murf

Of course the affects of physique works the same in story or arena. Don't think I said otherwise. You test how ya wish in the arena if that is your want, Ill do my testing in the game. Story play is different every single time I play so there is no one good type of physique. It's all about personal preference. Was just mentioning mine. Not trying to get into a whole 'thing' .

Bullethead

Of course the affects of physique works the same in story or arena. Don't think I said otherwise. You test how ya wish in the arena if that is your want, Ill do my testing in the game. Story play is different every single time I play so there is no one good type of physique. It's all about personal preference. Was just mentioning mine. Not trying to get into a whole 'thing' .
Well, my own preference is to play in the dungeon, too. I only use the arena to learn the game, both to get the hang of the control system and to gain an understanding of how the various aspects of the physics interact to produce a result. What I do in the arena is all just to make me more successful in the dungeon.

So, how do you recommend testing stuff in the dungeon? I'd appreciate a few tips.

Beaushizzle

Well, my own preference is to play in the dungeon, too. I only use the arena to learn the game, both to get the hang of the control system and to gain an understanding of how the various aspects of the physics interact to produce a result. What I do in the arena is all just to make me more successful in the dungeon.

So, how do you recommend testing stuff in the dungeon? I'd appreciate a few tips.
Field testing. Let them hit you with that new piece of armor to see how well it works!
Or test a sword versus a mace in a tight corridor to see if you can deal with the chance of the longer sword getting caught on stuff.

Beaushizzle

The arena is obviously the best environment to test most aspects of combat and physique.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_control
It is obvious, yes. However, I think he is asking for tips in testing in an uncontrolled environment. For example, firing a pistol mechanically in a controlled environment several thousand times and making sure the weapon is 100% perfect each shot versus arming several people and sending them on an active mission.

Bullethead

It is obvious, yes. However, I think he is asking for tips in testing in an uncontrolled environment.
I'm more interested in what, other than fighting you vs. many, do you find it necessary to test in the dungeon instead of the arena. I would think it would need to be a very important thing to be worth all the time required for each run of the test, given the need to acquire all the necessary stuff, meet the right enemy at the right time and place, and not get killed or maimed before then. Something that important is something I need to know about :).

You can test confined spaces in the arena. Just run to a wall, or a corner, or back into the doorway behind your starting position. The enemy will follow. Or, if you're strong enough, just bumrush him to the desired location. If you want obstacles on the floor, maneuver the fight to the drain to the right of your starting position. That will trip you or the enemy quite often. And you can switch weapons and armor between fights, including taking some layers off.

Sure, the arena can't test everything you'll face in the dungeon (especially you vs. many) but with a bit of imagination it can do a lot more than meets the eye originally. So what needs to be tested in the dungeon?

One thing i can say for sure is i am more confident in my combat skills, as long as I am not nonchalant and sloppy then the zombies gat nothing on me.

Iscandar

This is going to sound silly to you guys, but bear with it.

Hair has an actual effect on how you move and swing. Not even joking.

If you want to test this for yourself, use ponytail hairstyle for a run in the arena, then use the loose long hair style directly to the left of it. The ponytail will make your swings and movement more coordinated, whereas the long hair will make your swing arcs wider and your movement more exaggerated. It's like night and day.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.