Exanima story

I've tried piecing together the scrolls you can find in the game. Here is what I came up with so-far.

Don't read if you haven't tried following the story yet. Please share your notes or ideas if you have anything. Hopefully we can get a more clear picture of what is going on. I've written down the characters that play a role in recent times + a bit of info about level 4.

Last edited:
Changed up my theory a little bit.

It makes more sense to me if the note / ripped letter the player begins with is actually addressed to Papin. The player is actually not working for any thaumaturgist order. The question is how did the player managed to get the note / letter that was not addressed to him. Did Papin help him out?

Last edited:

Greenbrog

Insider
I wouldn't expect to ever have the whole story. Though if our charecter isn't suffering for amnesia there is a huge plot hole. But we wake up unharmed, mostly naked, with a torch. An extremely odd circumstance. We sure don't seem undead. And the level of "mercenary " skills we have are none to relatively limited, though reading into the persistent experience system might be red Haring. While the game doesn't have magic yet, we will have access to it, so however a person gains magic we have "it".

Whatever happened. I'm going to be happy killing everything in my way, including running down yellow bellied cowards.

I wouldn't expect to ever have the whole story. Though if our charecter isn't suffering for amnesia there is a huge plot hole. But we wake up unharmed, mostly naked, with a torch. An extremely odd circumstance. We sure don't seem undead. And the level of "mercenary " skills we have are none to relatively limited, though reading into the persistent experience system might be red Haring. While the game doesn't have magic yet, we will have access to it, so however a person gains magic we have "it".

Whatever happened. I'm going to be happy killing everything in my way, including running down yellow bellied cowards.
Yes, the player wakes up unharmed which is strange. It is possible that the player was kidnapped by Hamon's thugs and dumped here, like it was the case with Mathis' Elara.

Or it could be that the player is an adventurer that thought there was treasure down there, got hit on the head with a brick that fell from the ceiling and suffered amnesia. Would explain having a torch. Maybe he brought it from outside?

I just realized that we're probably "naked " and BM has underware for decency not because you're wearing underware
If the player character was naked, they wouldn't have bothered giving him clothing to choose from in the character creation screen. The clothing you choose from is typical of peasants. I think the player character starts out as nobody important.

Last edited:

Bullethead

My theory:

The player starts with an incomplete, and apparently ancient, letter in his pocket. It is open to doubt that this letter was originally addressed to the player. First, it appears to be an old document. Second, the player doesn't have all of it. And third, it appears to refer to a previous trip to the dungeon by somebody other than the player, and its contents make it contemporary with the goings-on there, which was obviously in the past. How far in the past is another question (more on that below).

The player awakens face-down in a room with no normal means of getting to the surface. The player is surrounded by loose buliding stones. This implies that the player fell through the room's ceiling. The question is whether he fell in accidentally or was pushed. If it was an accident, then the letter in his pocket implies he was deliberately looking for the place, probably inside a surface building or cave due to already having a torch lit. If he was pushed, then why would he have the letter? More on this below, too.

The dungeon must have had a fairly substantial "service entrance" at one time, big enough for wagons. Otherwise, how did all those huge logs, all the furniture and fixtures, etc., get down there. There appears to be no trace of this original entrance on the floorplans of the 1st 3 levels, not even a collapsed area where it might have been. So what happened to it? Or was all the heavy stuff magicked into the dungeon? I don't think the latter because this is supposedly low fantasy, but OTOH the dungeon seems to be a special place for at least some types of magic.

The dungeon appears to have had 2 occupation phases (as archaeologists would say). The 1st occupation apparently began in the distant past with the construction of the dungeon for whatever purpose it originally served. Given its size, construction would have been a major project impossible to keep secret, and had to have been done at the orders of a famous person or persons with lots of both money and power. Plus, there's got to be a huge spoil pile on the surface. But the original occupants "delved too deeply" and awakened some "Ancient Evil". This was probably the whole purpose of the dungeon, but the "Ancient Evil" proved more powerful than expected. Anyway, there were enough of the original occupants to construct and man an impressive amount of defenses in depth but they lost the battle and that was the end of the 1st occupation. Given that the dungeon and its occupants must have been fairly visible to those on the surface in the neighborhood, the disaster must have made at least the local news. However, it occurred so long ago that the dungeon is all but forgotten today. Corpses from this time have rotted to bare bones and everything else is in a state of decay, to the point that the player could fall through its ceiling. But given the small number of skeletons for such a big place, either most folks escaped or were captured and dragged into the depths.

The 2nd occupation was smaller, much less grand, and of shorter duration. It seems to have consisted of a small group of necromancers and their hangers-on squatting in the ruins, trying to tap into the "Ancient Evil" still lurking in the depths. This occupation seems to have started within the last year or 2 at most, and to have ended violently within just the last few weeks. While the original occupants mostly vanished, most of the 2nd population is still there in the form of zombies and a few non-walking corpses. Some of these zombies are no doubt the deliberate creations of necromantic experiments but the rest are probably the necromancers' former employees, overtaken by the "Ancient Evil". Anyway, none of these dead folks have rotted yet to any substantial degree and some of the blood on the floor still looks pretty fresh, so this 2nd disaster happened quite recently.

The player's partial letter appears to refer to this 2nd occupation. As it urges cooperation with the squatting necromancers, it either came from another necromancer on the surface or at least a patron of the art. So what is the player's connection to necromancy that led him to the dungeon with part of a necromancer's letter in his pocket and nothing else but a torch? There are several possibilities:
  1. He is the original addressee of the letter and a minion of the surface necromancer, on a mission to help and learn from the dungeon necromancers. In looking for the original entrance to the dungeon, he falls into the starting room by accident, or is ambushed, mugged, and tossed in by the local vigilance committee. And he finds he arrived too late. His boss is going to be unhappy and will probably turn him into a newt if he ever gets back.
  2. He is the last kidnapping victim of the dungeon necromancers, whose pressgang was out hunting when the 2nd disaster struck. Upon arriving above the dungeon, he manages to put up enough of a fight to grab the page of the letter and a torch, but is then either thrown down a hole or falls in while trying to run away. The pressgang is maybe still waiting above for him to resurface.
  3. He is a member of the local vigilance committe. He mugs the original recipient of the letter and then, while looking around for more evidence to report back to his buddies, he falls in by accident, losing the 1st page of the letter in the process.
  4. He went to the dungeon to excavate because he's either an antiquarian or a dealer in ancient artifacts, hence his lack of combat skills and equipment although he's good at digging. He is totally unaware that necromancers are squatting inside until he finds the partial letter at the edge of a collapsed area where the original recipient had dropped it as he fell in not too long before. While reaching for this scrap of paper, he falls in himself.

My theory:

The player starts with an incomplete, and apparently ancient, letter in his pocket. It is open to doubt that this letter was originally addressed to the player. First, it appears to be an old document. Second, the player doesn't have all of it. And third, it appears to refer to a previous trip to the dungeon by somebody other than the player, and its contents make it contemporary with the goings-on there, which was obviously in the past. How far in the past is another question (more on that below).

The player awakens face-down in a room with no normal means of getting to the surface. The player is surrounded by loose buliding stones. This implies that the player fell through the room's ceiling. The question is whether he fell in accidentally or was pushed. If it was an accident, then the letter in his pocket implies he was deliberately looking for the place, probably inside a surface building or cave due to already having a torch lit. If he was pushed, then why would he have the letter? More on this below, too.

The dungeon must have had a fairly substantial "service entrance" at one time, big enough for wagons. Otherwise, how did all those huge logs, all the furniture and fixtures, etc., get down there. There appears to be no trace of this original entrance on the floorplans of the 1st 3 levels, not even a collapsed area where it might have been. So what happened to it? Or was all the heavy stuff magicked into the dungeon? I don't think the latter because this is supposedly low fantasy, but OTOH the dungeon seems to be a special place for at least some types of magic.

The dungeon appears to have had 2 occupation phases (as archaeologists would say). The 1st occupation apparently began in the distant past with the construction of the dungeon for whatever purpose it originally served. Given its size, construction would have been a major project impossible to keep secret, and had to have been done at the orders of a famous person or persons with lots of both money and power. Plus, there's got to be a huge spoil pile on the surface. But the original occupants "delved too deeply" and awakened some "Ancient Evil". This was probably the whole purpose of the dungeon, but the "Ancient Evil" proved more powerful than expected. Anyway, there were enough of the original occupants to construct and man an impressive amount of defenses in depth but they lost the battle and that was the end of the 1st occupation. Given that the dungeon and its occupants must have been fairly visible to those on the surface in the neighborhood, the disaster must have made at least the local news. However, it occurred so long ago that the dungeon is all but forgotten today. Corpses from this time have rotted to bare bones and everything else is in a state of decay, to the point that the player could fall through its ceiling. But given the small number of skeletons for such a big place, either most folks escaped or were captured and dragged into the depths.

The 2nd occupation was smaller, much less grand, and of shorter duration. It seems to have consisted of a small group of necromancers and their hangers-on squatting in the ruins, trying to tap into the "Ancient Evil" still lurking in the depths. This occupation seems to have started within the last year or 2 at most, and to have ended violently within just the last few weeks. While the original occupants mostly vanished, most of the 2nd population is still there in the form of zombies and a few non-walking corpses. Some of these zombies are no doubt the deliberate creations of necromantic experiments but the rest are probably the necromancers' former employees, overtaken by the "Ancient Evil". Anyway, none of these dead folks have rotted yet to any substantial degree and some of the blood on the floor still looks pretty fresh, so this 2nd disaster happened quite recently.

The player's partial letter appears to refer to this 2nd occupation. As it urges cooperation with the squatting necromancers, it either came from another necromancer on the surface or at least a patron of the art. So what is the player's connection to necromancy that led him to the dungeon with part of a necromancer's letter in his pocket and nothing else but a torch? There are several possibilities:
  1. He is the original addressee of the letter and a minion of the surface necromancer, on a mission to help and learn from the dungeon necromancers. In looking for the original entrance to the dungeon, he falls into the starting room by accident, or is ambushed, mugged, and tossed in by the local vigilance committee. And he finds he arrived too late. His boss is going to be unhappy and will probably turn him into a newt if he ever gets back.
  2. He is the last kidnapping victim of the dungeon necromancers, whose pressgang was out hunting when the 2nd disaster struck. Upon arriving above the dungeon, he manages to put up enough of a fight to grab the page of the letter and a torch, but is then either thrown down a hole or falls in while trying to run away. The pressgang is maybe still waiting above for him to resurface.
  3. He is a member of the local vigilance committe. He mugs the original recipient of the letter and then, while looking around for more evidence to report back to his buddies, he falls in by accident, losing the 1st page of the letter in the process.
  4. He went to the dungeon to excavate because he's either an antiquarian or a dealer in ancient artifacts, hence his lack of combat skills and equipment although he's good at digging. He is totally unaware that necromancers are squatting inside until he finds the partial letter at the edge of a collapsed area where the original recipient had dropped it as he fell in not too long before. While reaching for this scrap of paper, he falls in himself.
I like some of your ideas. It's very possible the player fell in or was pushed in. You see no light from the ceiling because the people that pushed the player character in covered up their hole again.

The ancient evil does not revive the bodies directly. That is the work of the Thaumaturgists. The presence only induces rage and hostility in them.

I really like the idea that the player is the last of the "batch" of poor victims that was sent down there by Hamon and his thugs for the thaumaturgists to experiment on.

The document the player has is on new parchment. You can see the difference between new and old parchment easily.
There is indeed a difference between old and new parchments. The one in your pocket at the beginning is new when compared to the older looking ones you can find in the dungeon.

My theory:

dungeon must have had a fairly substantial "service entrance" at one time, big enough for wagons. Otherwise, how did all those huge logs, all the furniture and fixtures, etc., get down there. There appears to be no trace of this original entrance on the floorplans of the 1st 3 levels, not even a collapsed area where it might have been. So what happened to it? Or was all the heavy stuff magicked into the dungeon? I don't think the latter because this is supposedly low fantasy, but OTOH the dungeon seems to be a special place for at least some types of magic.
It would appear that the big door they brought everything through is actually in Level 1...

There is also a slight issue about the theory that this place is really ancient. One of the Laboratories in Level 1 has a corpse there for study, and it's not decomposed too much. It looks like it's been there for maybe a few weeks, maybe a month or two. The fact that the zombies have about the same amount of health as the player, almost can run as fast, and pretty much just as nimble if they could be more advanced in combat, seems to make this place not very old.

Last edited:
There have been more than one wave of people to live here. All the bodies and corpses are from the most recent people, not the original builders.
The last wave of occupants was of all the lore we have now, so this place couldn't be that old to be forgotten, and the bodies prove that. So, yes this place is much older, but not long abandoned/overrun.

ZaratanCho

Insider
It has been very, very long abandoned. The recent ones are very few and there looking for something and doing experiments with people that someone is sending down for that purpose(and becoming zombies). What currently is going on clearly has nothing to do with actual inhabitants living there in any sort of community. It is venturing into the underworld on a expedition of sorts with some purpose(You also have the proctor going to investigate for the missing people that are being sent down there by Hamon or who was it, she is killed and left there to stop others that may follow). It's pretty clear. ;d

It has been very, very long abandoned. The recent ones are very few and there looking for something and doing experiments with people that someone is sending down for that purpose(and becoming zombies). What currently is going on clearly has nothing to do with actual inhabitants living there in any sort of community. It is venturing into the underworld on a expedition of sorts with some purpose(You also have the proctor going to investigate for the missing people that are being sent down there by Hamon or who was it, she is killed and left there to stop others that may follow). It's pretty clear. ;d
It doesn't seem like they've been going in there like it was a secret lab though, seems more like they were occupying at least some parts of it. There are still several bedrooms and living areas relatively untouched or less dilapidated as some others.

Okay new idea!

What if the person that is writing those scrolls is neither Thaven nor Papin and the real author was never mentioned anywhere by name..

Imagine all those scrolls (the recent ones) written by one person. Does that make sense? Thaven was clearly some kind of colleague or teacher of the author and Papin was his apprentice. Thaven and Papin might have never even been in the dungeon.

This note:
Hamon has obviously cast aside our agreement. He's sending far too many down here and I've lost all contact with him. What is he trying to do? One of these wretches confessed that he was told to seek treasure. Someone will notice all these missing people. And what if one finds me while I sleep? I no longer feel safe here, I have locked the doors but I should venture further and look for something more secure.

Why would he be so afraid to sleep there alone? Because he has nobody to back him.

Last edited:

ZaratanCho

Insider
I dunno man still haven't re-read the parchments since the very olden days but i used to think they were written by 1 person and that Thaven is actually on the surface or wherever. Will definitely read them tomorrow, refresh my memory ;d

4th level spoilers, preparing ;d

Last edited:
I am doing a playthrough and utilizing the journal to write down observations and later piece things together. Trying to finish lvl 1 but I'm getting some weird freeze when trying to go back.

There's a reference in a couple of scrolls to a 'hero' who went through the area and left destruction in his wake. The author of the scroll doesn't know who it is. Anyone know who that refers to? I don't know if it's a crazy idea, but I'm wondering if it refers to the player character and we have been in that dungeon before.

The devs are obviously influenced by The Book of the New Sun (the presence of Terminus Est, plus the concept of people living in the remnants of an old civilisation), and there's some funky stuff happening with time in those books. Messing with time makes pretty much anything possible.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.