Hello a few questions about Sui Generis

lautiloco

hey, i have little question.
i have an i3 processor. would that be enough to run the game, at least at medium settings? im pretty sure that my VGA and ram can handle it, but that i3 is getting old.

Questions again glorious questions.

So I watched this new YouTube video of Unreal Engine 4 yesterday and the GPU particles that Unreal Engine 4 supports looks so good. Unreal Engine 4 supports Nvidia's PhysX physics engine.

Here is the YouTube video.

The explosions, the fires, the smoke is all 3D and dynamically rendered in real time and interacts with the surrounding environment there is no more 2D sprite explosions or smoke. This is so awesome. I know I asked about Sui Generis supporting Nvidia's PhysX physics engine and that Sui Generis supports it's own developed physics engine by Madoc so will it be possible for Sui Generis to have GPU particles? Will it be possible to have volumetric explosions, fires, smoke, etc? I mean Sui Generis already has volumetric clouds. Volumetric fog, mist, and steam would also be awesome. BareMettle Entertainment make it happen when you have the money please.

Also you guys should really talk to Deep Silver to distribute physical boxed version of Sui Generis to brick and mortar retailer stores world wide for sale. Make sure that you have 100% development control over Sui Generis and that the physical boxed version of Sui Generis is 100% Digital Rights Management (DRM) free. I mean inXile Entertainment is doing this with Wasteland 2.

BareMettle Entertainment please make this a reality I mean you can talk to Deep Silver about it after you finish developing and releasing Sui Generis for sale digitally first. Think of the PC gamers world wide who have no internet connections at all, have poor internet connections or monthly bandwidth caps.

As I said I will purchase 1 copy of Sui Generis from gog.com if Sui Generis will be released for sale on gog.com, 1 copy from Steam maybe 2 copies from Steam and 10 physical boxed version of Sui Generis from brick and mortar retailer stores. I have lots of real life friends and they mostly play or exclusively play on PC and some have no internet because they work a lot or go to school and don't care about paying every month for internet they just prefer to come home and play singleplayer only video games from the 1980's, 1990's and early 2000's and also 100% Digital Rights Management (DRM) free.

I was talking to inXile Entertainment's CEO in a private message about having a physical disc containing the mod tools for Wasteland 2 in the physical boxed version of Wasteland 2 100% Digital Rights Management (DRM) free after Wasteland 2 releases for sale because Wasteland 2 won't have the mods released when Wasteland 2 releases for sale so at the beginning when Wasteland 2 goes for sale it will not have a disc with mod tools he forwarded my feedback to Deep Silver.

So it can be possible for BareMettle Entertainment to talk to Deep Silver to sell a physical boxed version of Sui Generis after Sui Generis releases for sale digitally first. Heck even include a 100% Digital Rights Management (DRM) free disc containing the mod tools as well.

Being a PC gamer and having no internet or poor internet connections and having to rely on internet to play PC versions of video games sucks I should know because I experienced it over 10 years ago.

I will gladly purchase 10 physical boxed version of Sui Generis BareMettle Entertainment to gift to my family members and real life friends for their birthdays, Easter, and Christmas. I know I am not the only PC gamer who will purchase the physical boxed version of Sui Generis I know there are lots of PC gamers world wide that will do what I do. I know a person on The Witcher forums website who he said will purchase like 12 physical boxed version of the PC version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for family and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will cost more than Sui Generis probably. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will cost $50 dollars (USD) I don't know how much Sui Generis will cost that person is also interested in Sui Generis he didn't say he will purchase 10 copies of Sui Generis like he will with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt but he said he is willing to purchase at least 1 or 2 physical boxed version of Sui Generis.

Thank you for listening BareMettle Entertainment and trying your best to deliver what your vision is and caring for PC gamers.

Rob

You could get a physical boxed copy of the game during the kickstarter campaign (dubbed the collector's edition). I don't know what BM's feelings are regarding continuing the sale of physical copies/items, as you can only pledge for a digital tier now. If you're interested in a physical copy, why don't you contact one of the devs (or start a thread) asking whether physical tiers can be put back on sale?

You could get a physical boxed copy of the game during the kickstarter campaign (dubbed the collector's edition). I don't know what BM's feelings are regarding continuing the sale of physical copies/items, as you can only pledge for a digital tier now. If you're interested in a physical copy, why don't you contact one of the devs (or start a thread) asking whether physical tiers can be put back on sale?
That's the problem I did not back Sui Generis on kickstarter.com at all and I am going to purchase Sui Generis when it's 100% fully released for sale out of alpha and beta stages.

Brendan

Developer
Not belittling UE4 in general here but that video is kind of ridiculous. It does look really good, don't get me wrong, but they're not doing anything technically new (3D textures have been around forever), they're just using a very labour intensive and performance inefficient method to create a single static explosion that would only be useful in a cinematic sequence (see how bad it looked from the side?). They ran the simulation in max, they rendered it in max, and it can only be viewed from one angle. There's no apparent reason to use particles at all, let alone physics or any other dynamic element. They authored one specific explosion for one specific location, the collisions were pre-computed in max. Even the guy in the video didn't seem convinced there was any in game technology involved...

The real bottleneck with (actually dynamic) particle systems is fill rate. Our particle effects (like the smoke/fire) do feature collisions, we just have to use them sparingly as we're already starved for pixel fill.

We're not opposed to the idea of releasing a retail version of the game, we're just aware that this is a game that's going to be in ongoing development for a long time. A boxed copy in any reasonable timeframe would essentially only be a snapshot of it at the time. That said, we will definitely consider it once it's out on digital platforms. Any and all versions will be 100% DRM free.

Not belittling UE4 in general here but that video is kind of ridiculous. It does look really good, don't get me wrong, but they're not doing anything technically new (3D textures have been around forever), they're just using a very labour intensive and performance inefficient method to create a single static explosion that would only be useful in a cinematic sequence (see how bad it looked from the side?). They ran the simulation in max, they rendered it in max, and it can only be viewed from one angle. There's no apparent reason to use particles at all, let alone physics or any other dynamic element. They authored one specific explosion for one specific location, the collisions were pre-computed in max. Even the guy in the video didn't seem convinced there was any in game technology involved...

The real bottleneck with (actually dynamic) particle systems is fill rate. Our particle effects (like the smoke/fire) do feature collisions, we just have to use them sparingly as we're already starved for pixel fill.

We're not opposed to the idea of releasing a retail version of the game, we're just aware that this is a game that's going to be in ongoing development for a long time. A boxed copy in any reasonable timeframe would essentially only be a snapshot of it at the time. That said, we will definitely consider it once it's out on digital platforms. Any and all versions will be 100% DRM free.
What do you guys render your stuff for Sui Generis in? I know you guys use OpenGL for the API. Wonderful to hear that Sui Generis' fire and smoke has collision.

Thank you for responding to my questions Brendan and thank you for being interested in trying to sell a physical boxed version of Sui Generis.

I cannot believe how good of a video game development company BareMettle Entertainment is and listening to us PC gamers. This is the reason why I will be a customer forever ever since I followed Sui Generis on kickstarter on the first day I heard about it in 2012.

BareMettle Entertainment I now believe will be selling a lot of copies of Sui Generis and earning a lot of money from the sales especially that you guys plan to support Sui Generis for a long time. Finally a video game company that plans to support their video game for more than 2 years (I am looking at you Bethesda Softworks and the 7 AAA video game companies that Bethesda Softworks owns.). CD Projekt RED is the 2nd one that I know of that has plans to support their video games for years from now on.

Sorry I mention CD Projekt RED a bit but they almost identically have the same philosophy as BareMettle Entertainment and love listening to the PC gamers so I put up examples compared to both video game development companies lol.

BigT2themax

Insider
I realise this suggestion probably counts as DRM, but, to get around the 'boxed copy will just be a snapshot without updates' problem...

Perhaps have each boxed copy have both a disc and some sort of unique code or something that one could input into a website or launcher or whatever to allow a customer to search for and download any free updates that have occured since before the retail disk was released? Or just give the retail disc the ability to do this anyway, without a code.

I don't know much about stuff like this, though, so if I'm wrong, then disregard this, as I am evidently a bit of a numpty.

Komuflage

Insider
I realise this suggestion probably counts as DRM, but, to get around the 'boxed copy will just be a snapshot without updates' problem...

Perhaps have each boxed copy have both a disc and some sort of unique code or something that one could input into a website or launcher or whatever to allow a customer to search for and download any free updates that have occured since before the retail disk was released? Or just give the retail disc the ability to do this anyway, without a code.

I don't know much about stuff like this, though, so if I'm wrong, then disregard this, as I am evidently a bit of a numpty.
You wouldn't need a code to be allowed to download updates/patches. It was but a few years ago when we had to download all the patches manually ;)

I have more questions again.

If these I asked these questions before I am sorry. I come up with a lot of questions. I looked back at a lot of the comments with the questions I asked in this topic so I did not see what I am going to ask now.

Question #1. Will Sui Generis have regenerative health? Please BareMettle Entertainment no regenerative health. Bethesda Game Studios disappointed me so much with The elder Scrolls V: Skyrim having regenerative health.

Question #2. Will Sui Generis have quest markers? Again please BareMettle Entertainment no quest markers appearing in my map or a compass type appearing. Let me have all the directions for the quests appear in a journal that looks like a book or paper instead.

Question #3. Will armor and weapons break? I really hope Sui Generis has armor and weapons degradation. Again Bethesda Game Studios disappointed be by removed this in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I want to be able to repair broken armor and weapons as well.

Question #4. Will Sui Generis have stats. If so what kind of stats and how will the stats work in Sui Generis?

Question #5. Will there be more than 1 dialogue options? Please lots of dialogue options if you can talk to NPC's in Sui Generis.

Tony

Insider
I have more questions again.
I would suggest reading the "About" section on the Bare Mettle page. It explains much of what you're asking.

1. Stamina regens when in a restful state, health damage does not.

2. This hasn't been answered yet.

3. The devs have been generally against having this but haven't totally ruled out this possibility.

4. This is answered in the "About" section.

5. Yes, there will be more than one dialogue option. The devs haven't given specifics on how the dialogue will work though.

I would suggest reading the "About" section on the Bare Mettle page. It explains much of what you're asking.

1. Stamina regens when in a restful state, health damage does not.

2. This hasn't been answered yet.

3. The devs have been generally against having this but haven't totally ruled out this possibility.

4. This is answered in the "About" section.

5. Yes, there will be more than one dialogue option. The devs haven't given specifics on how the dialogue will work though.
Where is this "About" section? I cannot find it. I do not have access to the Insider Forum it's only for kickstarter.com backers and pledgers which I did not do because I will be purchasing Sui Generis when it's fully released for sale out of alpha, closed, and open beta stages. I will be purchasing Sui Generis from both gog.com and Steam if BareMettle Entertainment releases Sui Generis on both of those digital distribution retailer service stores.

1. Yes health does not regenerate. I am very happy.

3. Why are people against having armor and weapons breaking i will never know.

4. Goes back to what I said at the top.

5. Awesome.

Unbelievable. I have been on these forums since 2012 and i only now saw the About section at the top.

LOL :(.

Tony

Insider
Unbelievable. I have been on these forums since 2012 and i only now saw the About section at the top.

LOL :(.
I was about to link you to the "About" section on their homepage but I'm assuming you found it? It does contain a lot of good information :)

Whenever BareMettle Entertainment gets more money ill they add support for this new OpenGL that was revealed today at GDC 2014 by AMD, Intel, and Nvidia?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788336
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/opengl-gdc2014/

It is like Mantle a low-level access API. This is a huge benefit for PC gamers. Imagine now finally being able to have more than 500 NPC's in one location.

I mean Mantle can have over 10,000 units for strategy video games and running at 60FPS because Mantle does over 100,000 drawcalls.

It is every PC gamers dreams to have tons of things happening at once on PC versions of video games.

Brendan

Developer
Whenever BareMettle Entertainment gets more money ill they add support for this new OpenGL that was revealed today at GDC 2014 by AMD, Intel, and Nvidia?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788336
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/opengl-gdc2014/

It is like Mantle a low-level access API. This is a huge benefit for PC gamers. Imagine now finally being able to have more than 500 NPC's in one location.

I mean Mantle can have over 10,000 units for strategy video games and running at 60FPS because Mantle does over 100,000 drawcalls.

It is every PC gamers dreams to have tons of things happening at once on PC versions of video games.
OpenGL has always been low level. That presentation just describes a technique to reduce driver overhead by manually condensing draw calls which 1. isn't really feasible for a large open world with streaming content and 2. aren't even a bottleneck anyway, except presumably in DirectX, hence the "10-15x faster" claims which by the way only refers to the driver overhead not the overall rendering performance.

Oh well, at least it's nice to see OpenGL on the right side of the propaganda machine for a change! :p

As for Mantle, I still find it hard to believe it even exists, it's the stupidest idea ever. An AMD proprietary API, reaaally AMD? Seriously? How about improving your half baked support for the industry standard cross platform API instead? It's funny in fact that they boast of faster draw calls, it being one of the many things their cards suck at in OpenGL compared to Nvidia for no apparent reason other than poor drivers. 9x faster in Mantle? Wow! Gee! Cool! Does that make it about as fast as, say, by any chance, an Nvidia in OpenGL?!

OpenGL has always been low level. That presentation just describes a technique to reduce driver overhead by manually condensing draw calls which 1. isn't really feasible for a large open world with streaming content and 2. aren't even a bottleneck anyway, except presumably in DirectX, hence the "10-15x faster" claims which by the way only refers to the driver overhead not the overall rendering performance.

Oh well, at least it's nice to see OpenGL on the right side of the propaganda machine for a change! :p

As for Mantle, I still find it hard to believe it even exists, it's the stupidest idea ever. An AMD proprietary API, reaaally AMD? Seriously? How about improving your half baked support for the industry standard cross platform API instead? It's funny in fact that they boast of faster draw calls, it being one of the many things their cards suck at in OpenGL compared to Nvidia for no apparent reason other than poor drivers. 9x faster in Mantle? Wow! Gee! Cool! Does that make it about as fast as, say, by any chance, an Nvidia in OpenGL?!
I think AMD developed Mantle to get Microsoft to update DirectX and Intel and Nvidia to work on improving OpenGL.

Microsoft announced DirectX 12 yesterday which is going to be like OpenGL low-level and AMD's Mantle API.

I agree AMD sucks. Nvidia is so much better I have a AMD, ATI graphics card and I am planning on purchasing a Nvidia graphics card later this year.

I actually have two questions:

1. Is the lighting global illumination or is their ambient lighting?
  2. Is the world going to be deterministic? We know that there is some random selection in the strikes in combat, so ignoring that.

Madoc

Project Lead
I actually have two questions:

1. Is the lighting global illumination or is their ambient lighting?
"Ambient lighting" is a form of global illumination, an extremely crude one often used in games and real time 3D graphics. Generally it refers to a constant level or one that increases in proximity of lights without any regard for the environment. Many games today use constant ambient with Ambient Occlusion, usually SSAO. I don't like SSAO because of the floating outlines it produces wich gives graphics quite a surreal look imo. Extremely common in games that attempt more realistic lighting is precomputed environment lighting which can look very good but is obviously almost entirely static and can significantly limit the size of environments and generally make authoring them a pain in the arse.

I always make sure that any solution we use is completely dynamic and can be done on the fly without any tedious or lengthy production steps. For a time approaches like this were called "unified lighting", the idea being that everything uses the same dynamic lighting solution which "just works".

It's a very broad topic and a very interesting one but to answer your question we use a number of global illumination effects to provide more realistic global illumination that works with fully dynamic lights. We don't accurately model diffuse inter-reflection but indirect light propagates from lights without going through walls etc. and interacts with other effects. Crude ambient makes things look very flat and I think we've got good results in terms of giving the graphics depth while keeping the effect subtle. The best effects are those you don't notice, there's a long standing tradition in game development and graphics to exaggerate effects so you notice them rather than use them to increase realism.

Is the world going to be deterministic? We know that there is some random selection in the strikes in combat, so ignoring that.
Not entirely sure I know what you mean but making the game world 100% deterministic would be quite difficult and anyway completely pointless given how dynamic everything is. Either way, no. We actually plan to randomise a fair bit so that each play through is significantly different. That aside, a bit of RNG here and there is not a bad thing, it seems to have adopted negative connotations in gaming but if used in the right context with good algorithms it can account for many subtleties that simply cannot be explicitly modelled. It can be used to make things behave more realistically, it doesn't imply substituting for player input.

Thanks for the reply! When it came to the determinism, I was really referring to the story side of the game. Wondering whether AI would play out in the same way everytime, if you did the same things?

So I just got alerts and came by and more questions popped in my head.

I just thought of more interesting ones.

I was wondering. Can we get tornadoes? Twisters? Can they pull trees out of the ground and pick up NPC's or any objects in the way and toss them all over the place? This would be so awesome. Imagine a huge tree being pulled out of the ground and then tossed and falls on a NPC and kills it or if it gets thrown into a building if that building is made of weak material like wood it will make the roof or walls of that building collapse. I want to see dynamic destruction. Maybe it's to much to ask for.

Now other questions I asked before but got no answers to. Can we actually see any flammable material like foliage, NPC's, etc actually catch fire and burn to a crisp and leave burn marks? I really wish I saw stuff like this like how Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 you can burn stuff but improve it more in Sui Generis and make it dynamic. I want to see fires spread. Lightning should also strike stuff from time to time and make it catch on fire. Another one about foliage. Can we use axes or saws to cut down trees and block paths for NPC's. Even make them fall on the NPC's and kill them.

Body counts and decals. Can you guys have in the options menu so we can set to how long or how many stay before they disappear? Since the PC has so much more power today if you have a very powerful PC you should be able to set these things to never disappear.

Unreal Tournament released in 1999. In around 2004 or so a PC gamer who is a modder developed a mod writing his own source code that compiled to Unreal Tournament so it makes bodies, blood decals and bullet decals, cartridges, and the body parts when you blow up the NPC's bodies to last for as long as you want there was also a option if you wanted to to set so these things never disappeared. In 2009 when I purchased a brand new PC I set the mod to have these things never disappear I managed to get about 1,000+ bodies to stay before my FPS dropped and cause lots of freezing. Now that OpenGL has had for years to do a lot of draw calls. Can we expect something like this in Sui Generis? I mean there are graphic cards coming out soon that got 5TFlops even upwards to 11TFLOPS of power. Some graphic cards with that much power are for professional artists but soon regular graphic cards will have that much power as well. Also PC's will soon have 64GB of RAM once DDR4 RAM releases for sale 1 DDR4 Stick of RAM can hold up to 16GB from what I read.

It would be nice to see something like this for the bodies, decals, etc in the options menu. 5, 10, 40, 50, 75, 100, 120 and if your crazy set it to unlimited so they never disappear so how far you can push your PC before it's FPS drops. :). Something like that.

Next is footprints. Will we see footprints in the snow if we walk in it? In Blood from the dead NPC's we killed? mud? Sand? Can we pick up all kinds of random stuff that washes on the beaches? Like kelp, seashells, crabs, maybe some clothing washes up?

Wetness. Can we see the clothes on the Player Character (PC) and NPC's get wet when you go in water?

Last one is Sui Generis still on track to be released in May?

Sorry for so many questions I hope a lot of them become a reality. I think all of these features they will add a lot of atmosphere to Sui Generis if the get added.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.