Question about gear progression in SG

I was just considering this recently when playing Exanima.

How is gear progression going to work in SG? I don't want to be able to get all geared up from just luck I guess?

For example if around the beginning of SG I happen to encounter a well geared knight in full plate somewhere alone. I then take advantage of the situation and manage to kill the knight. I loot the knight's weapon and armor, then for the rest of the early game I have that amazing plate armor and weapon that makes most early game encounters less worrisome or risky (Think dealing with a zombie with a bladed weapon on the first floors of Exanima).

The problem with this I see that a beginning player wouldn't have anything really to loose from the death of the knight depending on how long they've started. So the risk is little compared to the reward?

Will there be something in place to prevent this, or am I looking at this wrong somehow?

The Witcher

Supporter
I was just considering this recently when playing Exanima.

How is gear progression going to work in SG? I don't want to be able to get all geared up from just luck I guess?

For example if around the beginning of SG I happen to encounter a well geared knight in full plate somewhere alone. I then take advantage of the situation and manage to kill the knight. I loot the knight's weapon and armor, then for the rest of the early game I have that amazing plate armor and weapon that makes most early game encounters less worrisome or risky (Think dealing with a zombie with a bladed weapon on the first floors of Exanima).

The problem with this I see that a beginning player wouldn't have anything really to loose from the death of the knight depending on how long they've started. So the risk is little compared to the reward?

Will there be something in place to prevent this, or am I looking at this wrong somehow?
in sui generis armor and weapons will be very expensive i believe and knights and other probably well trained soldiers will have a lot better AI than a zombie in a fight i believe they would demolish you in a fight but anyway i think the devs will come up with something about that as i already said probably everything is going to be expensive and hard to get

SyllaBear

That would ruin the game. Luck and randomness is all about. Getting geared early would be so boring, there is no challenge...

Elaxter

Insider
Which is exactly what I said. I was just wondering if there will be something in place to prevent this.
Don't pay attention to SyllaBear. He's a "hardcore gamer."

For me, I like the idea of killing a knight early on and making the early game easy. But the catch is that when you're seen running around a much-needed town in a certain knight's armor, you're seen as a theif/murderer and you're exiled from the town. You can't take advantage of a bed or food or a place to repair your armor (should the devs add that stuff in) because you killed that knight and took his armor to prove it.

That sort of random-encounter-that-bears-great-loot has been in RPGs since the beginning. Think of Fallout 1 and 2: you could just earn your way to riches, but also get lucky in encounters enough to get good loot you can sell for that gun you need.

Parco

How the gear progression will be in SG? from how i understand it there wont be a gear progression except for rarity, getting decent weapons and armor isnt something that will be hard (leather, axe and a wooden shield for example). everything (even high tier items) will still be available from the start throughout the world, either through stealing, looting, killing or trade. trading for top tier items might possibly be something most players will only be able to do in mid/lategame and that will be very little risk. stealing and killing might be very high risk depending on the situation and if you find anyone thats already dead and it still got valuables that you can loot then youre damn lucky.
in SG if they were to recognize you as a thief/murderer then the armor would have to have some sort of unique features that they would associate with the knight you killed, but even then they would probably either think youre that knight (untill you talk to someone who personally knows him) or someone else from the same troop/family/guild/etc,.. as the knight. if the knight only had armor that can be acquired from a regular blacksmith then i dont think anyone would think so much about it except for "oh cool, a knight"
im all for being able to get op armor early in the game, if you were lucky enough to encounter a knight and skilled enough to actually knock him out or kill him with whatever improvised weapon you could find at the time then i would say you have earned it. yes it will make alot of things easier after that, but since you have no experience in your armor skills yet then you will move more ineffectively. i dont know how advanced the npc interactions will be but i do imagine that people would threat you differently if they see/think youre a knight and that will give some props, but might also become a target for groups of bandits for example, who think they can take on a trained knight thats wandering alone since they outnumber that knight, and since you got almost no skills in either combat or armor then it might be even easier for them take you out and rob you or kill you. these same bandits might have ignored you if you were wandering around with the rags and improvised weapon you found in the start.
now lets say you didnt defeat the knight and he knocked you out instead and severely injured you, now youre at even more of a disadvantage early. if the knight kills you then you will loose everything you had to that moment, loose some of your thaumaturgic power and might also respawn in a completely different area.
fighting that knight early on is a high risk high reward situation and i see no problem with such "events" being possible at any moment through the playthrough.

Elaxter

Insider
I was thinking that a humorous encounter with the king visiting the town would be great. Like, he recognizes the armor and says "you have fought bravely before, a I have a quest: [quest here]. Go now!" You can't say no because he's the king, and the quest he sends you on is fit for a skilled knight so you of course get rekt, losing the armor in the process.

Or perhaps the knight you killed was a scoundrel who pissed some people off, and since you're wearing that knight's armor, YOU are that knight. So you get rekt by a bunch of dudes with spears looking for revenge.

I was thinking that a humorous encounter with the king visiting the town would be great. Like, he recognizes the armor and says "you have fought bravely before, a I have a quest: [quest here]. Go now!" You can't say no because he's the king, and the quest he sends you on is fit for a skilled knight so you of course get rekt, losing the armor in the process.

Or perhaps the knight you killed was a scoundrel who pissed some people off, and since you're wearing that knight's armor, YOU are that knight. So you get rekt by a bunch of dudes with spears looking for revenge.
That, is why you raise your visor. Or not wear a helmet.

Tyon

I think the solution would be to start the player off in a very backwater region of the map, where fully plated knights would be extremely uncommon or maybe even completely unheard of.

NachoDawg

Another balance thing is that you might not find the best quality gear outside of the larger cities.. Good metal could be hard to come by and a remote village might not have the best craftsmen in the world..

And i mean, so you go in to a dungeon and get lucky looting. I doubt you'll find exceptional/superior gear in a dank dungeon. So you'll walk with crude and rusty stuff, and you don't even have the levels to wear them because of how heavy they are.

^that's speculation ofc, but I dont think there's reasons to worry about this stuff yet

Well, in the first level of exanima, everyone has crap weapons. If you want to go after a knight and actually manage to kill him with a candlestick without getting killed or mortally wounded, then the armor should be your reward. But remember, heavy armor is heavy. .. Fighting certain opponents who are lighter and more maneuverable will be more difficult. I hate lots of armor, not saying I prance around like Peter pan but I always balance it so I'm realativly prepared to fight any weapon/armor combination.

konggary

I'm no expert on the topic, but I wouldn't assume that every suit of armor is unique. In all likelihood the only way you would be recognized for a suit of armor is if it belongs to a very well known nobleman/knight, etc. Sure there are plenty of varying grades of armor, but for it to be truly unique and notable on sight, that takes a lot of money. The way to recognize a lord/knight would be through their banner or their shield, the latter can be repainted.

Acquiring a suit of armor very early in the game probably won't help you at all. Either A. You wear it without any training, becoming a crawling target for bandits or B. you try to sell it. What would a merchant do when they see a dirty peasant trying to sell such fine armor? Probably deny the sale, try to take it, or alert the guards.
I'm tired of merchants being mindless ATMs. I won't want more Skyrim money dispensers, but rather people who would make human choices, e.g. mugging a filthy peasant for an obviously stolen suit of armor.

huckc

Please no item level restrictions. High risk should get you high reward which is a big part of the fun.

Don Kanaille

Insider
You could simply apply logic to the situation. What reason would there be for knight to just stroll around in full armor alone? Armor, especially something like plate, is only worn when you´re about to battle. There is hardly a reason someone just rolls around in his shiny armor in a remote place alone. And even if he did and you somehow manage to take down that person, a poor fellow suddenly running around in the finest armor, possibly even personalized with coats of arms etc., raises a lot of suspicion, don´t you think? Especially when a noble who owned a very similar piece suddenly went missing... and that is, if the armor even fits you at all.

Given the rules SG is supposed to uphold, I don´t think armor theft is going to be a bigger problem in the game than it was in the real world.

Tyon

On second thought I don't think it would matter that much because of the monsters that we will be encountering. In Exanima we're already able to get a full set of plate armor and a poleaxe by level 4, but Sir can still whoop your ass if you're not careful. We're gonna be facing much more deadly monsters than Sir in the future (I hope) so I don't think armor = easy mode.

Hastur

You could simply apply logic to the situation. What reason would there be for knight to just stroll around in full armor alone? Armor, especially something like plate, is only worn when you´re about to battle. There is hardly a reason someone just rolls around in his shiny armor in a remote place alone. And even if he did and you somehow manage to take down that person, a poor fellow suddenly running around in the finest armor, possibly even personalized with coats of arms etc., raises a lot of suspicion, don´t you think? Especially when a noble who owned a very similar piece suddenly went missing... and that is, if the armor even fits you at all.

Given the rules SG is supposed to uphold, I don´t think armor theft is going to be a bigger problem in the game than it was in the real world.

Well in the real world people were really frightened of knights and what not, that's probably why armor theft wasn't really a thing, in Sui Generis you will be basically playing a fearless sociopath that is mentally capable of attacking a knight in full plate armor with only his fists.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Well in the real world people were really frightened of knights and what not, that's probably why armor theft wasn't really a thing, in Sui Generis you will be basically playing a fearless sociopath that is mentally capable of attacking a knight in full plate armor with only his fists.
... and the outcome of that will be the same as in the real world, so what? As far as I know, it was not the rise of fearless naked psychopaths that lead to the downfall of knighthood.

Hastur

... and the outcome of that will be the same as in the real world, so what? As far as I know, it was not the rise of fearless naked psychopaths that lead to the downfall of knighthood.
I would say that Sui Generis is a video game and you have an infinite amount of trial but since the game has such drastic approaches towards the death of your character when your red health falls to 0 (which is a great thing), i say you're right

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.