Most frustrating experience I've ever had in 20 years of gaming lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Perhaps the people saying "current AI is just right", are correct. I find the current AI somewhat challenging as well, depending on my mood of course, especially if they have an equipment advantage.

However, there still needs to be some higher challenges on offer for those who want them. I think we'll get those via more story content, sure, but what I believe this game really needs is a multiplayer mode. Playing against other people is an eternal challenge; unlike with the AI, you can't figure out every player in the world and just counter with same things over and over again.

Homiccus

Please explain me, i may be missing it completly.
In words other than mine...
The idea that your actions matter, and that NPCs do what they are doing for believable reasons regardless of whether you're around, are two core ideas for the game. Reflecting your actions in the world, in terms of the future interactions you have as well as physical changes brought about by quests, is a concept we hope to see take a prominent place in things.
Better AI is definitely our preferred method of increasing difficulty. Hitting, parrying, dodging etc. is all down to physics and AI decisions. We hope that AI at its best can be competitive with a very skilled player. There isn't much for AI to do yet but already they can use some pretty clever tactics. Also, for example, if you try to run past an NPC they will actually aim and time a blow so that it knocks you off your feet as you run past. Our method for designing AI is often to observe Kieran fighting and teaching AI the same tactics he uses, all AI is limited to the same inputs as a player character and basically we just put an AI player in control.

If we do introduce some kind of difficulty scaling it will definitely be along the lines of better AI, better equipment, harder / more opponents etc. What Chedburn says is however pretty much exactly what we would prefer too.

zak

In short, the game is designed to reward the player only if they play smart and perform well.

At the start of the story you are very strongly encouraged to do your best to survive, not belligerently pick a fight with everything in sight for no reason and while poorly equipped. It generally takes some patience and a smidge of thought, it's not a mindless hack'n'slash. It's very, very easy to make progress if you don't deliberately seek death at every turn.

In arena you make money very quickly if you're able to consistently win fights with high payouts, otherwise not so much. If this were not the case there would really be no incentive to getting better. You are rewarded for becoming good at the game, so that it's not a hollow accomplishment. As pointed out by others, making smart decisions is also important.

This is unusual in the current generation of games, and the reason why I've entirely given up on playing them. Without challenge or any real need for the player to be actually invested in the outcome... Just what is the point?

Wow... I didn't really expect this thread to gain so much traction.

I've probably put 100 hours into this game since I made this post. I stand by most of my original sentiments, especially it being the most frustrating experience I've had since my mom blew a fuse by starting the vacuum and my Mario 3 game was lost forever (I did later beat that game, btw)

I've STILL not been able to get very far in the story, despite my being fairly good at the game. It's just an extremely grueling environment and one series of mistakes destroys everything... I do have the savegame hack and that's helped but I still really can't get myself going again after the discouragement of tripping on a sodabottle and taking an ax to the face.

I beat all the dark souls. I beat many zeldas. I played darktide, I played darkfall. I've never shrank from a challenge. The challenge of the game isn't discouraging. The fact that there is every possible inconvenience and obstacle senselessly injected into this game, while explicitly avoiding every possible quality of life feature is the discouragement. A stark level of tedium is not my idea of challenge, sorry to say.

I REALLY appreciate this game and I love it. I do, however, urge you to consider some small compromises. Would it really destroy your vision to allow people to have a moment to moment save? Or no health damage mode? I'm interested in experiencing the story and progressing thru the game. I'm not interested in being gratuitously punished.

I really appreciate the hardcore gameplay and I might even prefer that at some point in my life. I know that I played hardcore diablo and PoE several times and preferred it often. That's not where I am right now. I am working too much and my family is too demanding for me to be that involved in a game. I'm a systems engineer for global finance, I am playing hardcore mode irl currently and I play games to relax. Yes, I want some thrill and anxiety in my games but I also want to be in moderate control of it.

would implementing difficulty levels seriously compromise your vision? Would a semblance of cartography destroy your atmosphere? Is quality of life a threat to your work? I've worked in gaming before and the vision was typically "have as many people find as much enjoyment as possible." I understand that you're producing art and I love it, I really do, but your audience is extremely limited with your current build. I've been able to appreciate a small percent of your artwork. Am I not worthy because I'm not willing to endure enough nutshots (I've actually taken a serious amount of health damage due to a very weird stumble into a metal rod that seemed to hit me square in the nuts). If that's the case, I've gotten everything I can out of this game. I won't buy/play your other game unless it has a multiplayer mode, and I won't recommend this game to my friends without giving them a harsh disclaimer. So far, no takers.

Tony

Insider
@zak Did you try playing as a pacifist yet? I've seen people who've made it through most of the game on their first attempt at playing simply due to playing cautiously and not thinking they're Rambo; instead they realize they are new to the game, that combat is potentially lethal and so they attempt to avoid it (which is quite possible in most scenarios since many of the undead on the first three levels aren't hostile until provoked).

I'm just curious what is causing issues after 100 more hours of playing since the story mode isn't insanely difficult for a cautious player. It is quite possible to play defensively, to flee from encounters, to not provoke people, etc. which are all wise choices if you're struggling to survive. If you survive long enough eventually you'll have enough armor that actually dying is hard to do since armor will negate most permanent damage.

16iclark

. . . If that's the case, I've gotten everything I can out of this game. I won't buy/play your other game unless it has a multiplayer mode, and I won't recommend this game to my friends without giving them a harsh disclaimer. So far, no takers.
Bit harsh if you don't mind me saying, your friends sure would be missing out on a great game! 100+ hours on a game for just $15 seems like a great deal to me! But I see where you're coming from. I do however believe that the developers are going for a certain amount of realism, and what you're describing that you want sounds like a type of God mode to me.

This game is all about choices, and those choices have consequences. What's the point if you can just save and reload when things don't go your way? There's no real danger there! That's why I love the permadeath in this game. It gives me more of a drive to not screw things up and to play smart. Do you want to challenge 5 skeletons at once in the story mode? Go ahead! But whether you live or die won't matter if you can just save right before the fight. If you die, you can just reload and try again, no real danger there.

And Tony's absolutely right, you don't have to fight in the first level of the story mode at all! Wait till you get some better gear before you start challenging the NPC's in the game, and if you can't beat them, just run! But remember, practice makes perfect;)

Madoc

Project Lead
We're not interested in making a "hardcore" experience, the only thing we're interested in at all is immersion. As much as possible we want it to feel like a logical, consequential and tangible world where everything makes sense, nothing else really matters and everything that goes in the opposite direction - feels like a game - is a huge no.

To be honest I really don't understand how you could play so long and not get far. I've watched streamers pick it up for the first time, being utterly useless at anything combat, and going through everything currently in the game in one go. They did this by being cautious and taking every danger seriously, which is exactly what the game wants you to do. If you pretend you were actually in that situation and act accordingly, you should have no problem staying alive, that is how the game is set up.

If you act as if you're some fearless hero who can't come to any harm no matter what, as most games are set up, then you will fail horribly, as you bloody well should. In my opinion that's senseless, worthless, tasteless, boring, pointless, uninteresting, shallow, weak, unsatisfying... That is tedious, why should I bother playing a game that lets me win even if I don't even try? How can I possibly become personally invested in something like that? If I'm only after a story then I'll read a book and save myself mindlessly clicking buttons between pages for an actually decent story. The whole point of a game is that I am in the driver's seat, or at least it should be.

So, yeah, the game wants you to consider your actions carefully and treat everything in it as if it were real, whether it's a creepy undead, a sharp looking weapon, a piece of armour, a bottomless pit or a bottle lying on the floor. If you're looking for a typical game experience then this is literally the worst game to pick up ever, this is more of a how-to-survive-in-a-super-dangerous-fantasy-underground-simulation.

ThommiX

@zak at 100 hours you should have gotten through the story a couple times already.

Allowing constant saving really destroys the atmosphere of this game. Really hope they could get savescumming away,since it can be done manually so far. Quit relying on this and actually learn the game. You are hurting yourself by cheating through.

Red damage is basically gone once you get armor,so there's absolutely no point at all to make a difficulty level without red damage. This I do hope they also improve,its getting boring fighting without fear of death or permanent damage in plate in the story mode.

If you get lost, you make a map or use one of the dozens allready in the net, Though they could add somekind of automap-item that draws you a map but doesn't tell you where you are.

In essence,you want the game dumbed down and made easier because its too hard for you AND your friends? Also your little threath about not recommending it is just pointless and senseless,your little group has absolutely no meaning and just makes you sound like a desperate kid.

Really, learn the game,play smart. Its a fair game,you just have to use your BRAIN.

Not even going into the contradictions of your post and how you describe yourself as player...

"i dont turn away from challenge" and at same time "This game is too hard" in essence.
You really aren't liking challenge or its something that is just convenient for you when you like it. When its not convenient,you want cheats and options to make it easier. You do turn way from challenge right there, invalidating all you said.

Last edited:

ThommiX

I've got 192 hours and still have yet to finish level 4 or get to even master rank in arena
Wow, you sure are taking your time. I've played 4 chars to level 5 already and thats just the living ones. Died dozens of times before this, probably my char count is over 50+ already. Arena i haven't finished either since i find it really boring in the long run. I have only 96 hours in the game currently.

The current content is done quite fast,specially when you learn to fight and remember the levels.

zak

@zak Did you try playing as a pacifist yet? I've seen people who've made it through most of the game on their first attempt at playing simply due to playing cautiously and not thinking they're Rambo; instead they realize they are new to the game, that combat is potentially lethal and so they attempt to avoid it (which is quite possible in most scenarios since many of the undead on the first three levels aren't hostile until provoked).

I'm just curious what is causing issues after 100 more hours of playing since the story mode isn't insanely difficult for a cautious player. It is quite possible to play defensively, to flee from encounters, to not provoke people, etc. which are all wise choices if you're struggling to survive. If you survive long enough eventually you'll have enough armor that actually dying is hard to do since armor will negate most permanent damage.
A mostly pacifist, yes. My most recent death... I was trying to be really nice to the things.. when they would attack me, I would back off and just fend them off.. and I'd let them run and then give them another chance when i saw them next. I found that they sometimes stopped attacking me after I had given them a lickin... Anyway, I found that many wouldn't attack... One, whom I had ruled a friendly as I had been able to bump into him... I had been weakened by a long wander thru level 2, (or 3? or 1? not sure if loadscreens are the distinguisher between levels?) far beyond where I had found a glowing jar that restored me to full... I had to pass uncomfortably close to a "friendly" and he chose that moment to change his mind. Clubbed me in the back of the head on my way by. I immediately reacted and attempted to move into a defensible position but he was able to land a second and final blow before my character could offer defense.

I made it to master in the arena in probably less than 4 hours recently.. Now I have 2 masters. I've beaten the beast...

I'm good at the game. It's not that it's hard or a challenge to wander aimlessly.. the majority of the time I've played this game has been in the arena. I like adventure games and wandering trying to figure out what to do, but not nearly as much as I like physics-driven melee combat. I enjoy a good grueling wander here and there..

Honestly, I guess exanima isn't the game for me. I don't want them to destroy their vision nor do I want to take that challenge from those who love it...

For me, I guess all I want is a different game. They've created a very awesome combat game.

Steam Controllers can work pretty good for this game so here's my dream...

1. Full Steam Controller support

2. Local Co-op/Local duels

3. Casual beat-em-up or Smash TV-type mode

Launch that as a stand-alone. I'd couch party the shit out of that.

Kaladin

Multiplayer mode would be great. Imo, I don't want Exanima to be more "arcade" or played in a way where mistakes aren't as punishing. I don't like the hostile environment in the campaign and clunky user interfaces, but then you're not supposed to like them. You're supposed to hate them from the very pit of your soul, that's the point of this game.

Syllabear3

Co op would be nice to help these guys that cant get through.

would implementing difficulty levels seriously compromise your vision? Would a semblance of cartography destroy your atmosphere? Is quality of life a threat to your work? I've worked in gaming before and the vision was typically "have as many people find as much enjoyment as possible."
Yes. Yes. Yes. I really, really doubt it.

Its like one finally find a worthy game then suddenly become to friendly to make everyone happy. NO, stop.
Just seek advice, there are really good players in these forums that will help you with your strategy/gameplay.

Zoltan

Supporter
I have spent countless hours playing this game, most of it in the arena.

It is the only game in years that I enjoy to play regularly even if later it is not for more than 1+ hour every one or two weeks.

So far I do not agree with everything in the game design but at the same time it's the closest I can have to what imagined to be the old school rpg with modern technology that I wished.

In the arena It was hard at the beginning, I got better at it and now I can most of the time succeed and make good progress, some updates have taken me by surprise and I had to adapt to the new settings. curiously what bug me the most is that i never see in stock the piece of equipment i want when I have the coins for it.

In the story mode I have made multiple times to the end, dying often at first and often due to my clumsy reactions of panic in an unexpected situations or by passing the dangerous puzzles. when the 5th level was introduced I unfortunately felt the frustration after being mauled to death so often i can't remember, very rarely I feel I have enough courage to try again, but they have no pity on me, I die fast and curse at myself for not understanding what I do wrong, I hope one day to succeed. The summarize i only blame myself when I fail.

I am sad that Sui Generis seem so far in the future, maybe I will still be there to play it.

Syllabear3

I have spent countless hours playing this game, most of it in the arena.

It is the only game in years that I enjoy to play regularly even if later it is not for more than 1+ hour every one or two weeks.

So far I do not agree with everything in the game design but at the same time it's the closest I can have to what imagined to be the old school rpg with modern technology that I wished.

In the arena It was hard at the beginning, I got better at it and now I can most of the time succeed and make good progress, some updates have taken me by surprise and I had to adapt to the new settings. curiously what bug me the most is that i never see in stock the piece of equipment i want when I have the coins for it.

In the story mode I have made multiple times to the end, dying often at first and often due to my clumsy reactions of panic in an unexpected situations or by passing the dangerous puzzles. when the 5th level was introduced I unfortunately felt the frustration after being mauled to death so often i can't remember, very rarely I feel I have enough courage to try again, but they have no pity on me, I die fast and curse at myself for not understanding what I do wrong, I hope one day to succeed. The summarize i only blame myself when I fail.

I am sad that Sui Generis seem so far in the future, maybe I will still be there to play it.
If it is getting extremely hard, ask for advice. People will guide you.

And dont shame yourself for having your ass pumped, you gain combat experience going through that.

Skidus

In short, the game is designed to reward the player only if they play smart and perform well.

At the start of the story you are very strongly encouraged to do your best to survive, not belligerently pick a fight with everything in sight for no reason and while poorly equipped. It generally takes some patience and a smidge of thought, it's not a mindless hack'n'slash. It's very, very easy to make progress if you don't deliberately seek death at every turn.

In arena you make money very quickly if you're able to consistently win fights with high payouts, otherwise not so much. If this were not the case there would really be no incentive to getting better. You are rewarded for becoming good at the game, so that it's not a hollow accomplishment. As pointed out by others, making smart decisions is also important.

This is unusual in the current generation of games, and the reason why I've entirely given up on playing them. Without challenge or any real need for the player to be actually invested in the outcome... Just what is the point?
The hardest thing in the world is for a developer to understand how hard their game is for a new player.
The reason for this is the developer is brill at their game, knows all the rules, knows all the hints, knows all the pit falls and can't understand the frustration someone new is experiencing. PLEASE PLEASE do more to enable new people to enjoy your wonderful creation by making it easier to progress at the beginning and make it more forgiving.

Syllabear3

Nope, get good.
If you are having a hard time just train or ask for advice. Enough of dumb games.

I will be completly honest here: mi iq is not greater than 60-80, im pretty dumb. Yet i could do the 1st act laberynth without any kind of effort. Fight any kind of fight in the game.
If you are trully having that much troubles (THAT I AM COMPLETLY SURE IS BECAUSE YOU ARE LAZY AND YOU DONT LIKE THIS GAME, NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE DISABLED) then just simply quit.
I have left for example "Perfect world", one of the greatest mmorpg i have ever played. Why? I was becoming crazy trying to handle 4 weapons with their skills, and genie skills. I have reached my limit. I just left, i didnt ask to change the game for me and ruin others fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.