Hello a few questions about Sui Generis

BigT2themax

Insider
Aww, thanks, you guys! :D

Unfortunately, I'm abroad right now, and cannot access the computer I will be using for Sui Generis right now. I'll be back home this week, though, and I'll post the info I have then. If I recall correctly, though, I believe I have an Nvidia GeForce 400 graphics card installed in it. It's done well enough for me so far, though lately I've had to play newer games at lower resolutions to get a framerate above 20 fps or so.

Brendan

Developer
Geforce 400 is a series not a graphics card btw ;) 460+ and it'll run awesome, 440+ will realistically be fine :)

Komuflage

Insider
Geforce 400 is a series not a graphics card btw ;) 460+ and it'll run awesome, 440+ will realistically be fine :)
Shared #1 spot of most anticipated PC game this year, and a old 460 would do "perfect" :eek:
Sometimes I regret upgrading my rig when I don't have to. :oops:

turtleman

i have a GTX 660 and 8 gb of ram and an intel core i7 860 which is 2.80 Ghz would this be able to run sui generis?

Komuflage

Insider
I said "awesome", not "perfect" :p
Awesome as in Perfect as in, very good, stable 60fps at 1080 at max? :rolleyes:

Nontheless I had a 5970 before, which I had so that I could play games at the higher settings, then I bought a 670 because I really wanted Nvidia 3d. Although I knew from the very start that my old 8800gt would be enough to play most games at low. And there is really no need to go higher, I never cared that much about the graphics anyway.

Madoc

Project Lead
Max settings, no. You need quite a beast of a card for max settings, in particular our multisampling approach is very demanding but also scalable. It provides better quality antialiasing and various improvements to image quality and effects. It also results in visually smoother motion at lower framerates so framerates < 60 still look pretty smooth, our videos are recorded at 30 fps and look smooth despite the very fluid motion in the game. Inputs (controls) are processed at 80hz regardless of the framerate. Low framerates in games are mostly disturbing because/when they result in choppy looking motion, consider that most films are 24 fps! But this is probably down to personal preference, some people may prefer higher framerates at the cost of visual quality.

The 670 will run the game very well, it might drop below 60 hz on max settings at times but I doubt you'd notice the difference.

For anyone looking to upgrade without spending too much I'd see if you can find a cheap (~£100) 560 ti or even 580, they're usually still quite expensive but sometimes you can find them cheap. Scan computers sells 580s for £ 120 and they are exceptionally good with our engine. The 750 Ti is soon to be released and that looks promising and should be quite affordable.

BigT2themax

Insider
Okay, I found my computer details. Can't be assed writing it down, and also, I'm not sure what's important or not, so I just took a picture and scribbled out personal info:

My computer's pretty old, I just put in a graphics card to beef it up a teeny bit so it could handle a few more games. The graphics card isn't even a 400 series, it's a 200. :(

Will I at least be able to run Sui Generis on the lowest settings?

Rama

Parry system.
Always interested in this question, but shy to ask. Why parry mechanic is passive? After all, the opportunity to make it "active" and completely dependent on the player easy to implement (I think so). So whyy?!

Tessaya

Insider
It is not as passive as you may think it is. Because of the physics, when you're holding your weapon, even not swinging, it is protecting you to a degree. But it's up to you to align your character in a way (s)he'll be able to withstand the upcoming blow, and if you're quick enough you can actually swing your weapon in a way that will both parry and counter attack your foe.

Brendan

Developer
My computer's pretty old, I just put in a graphics card to beef it up a teeny bit so it could handle a few more games. The graphics card isn't even a 400 series, it's a 200. :(

Will I at least be able to run Sui Generis on the lowest settings?
Not sure to be honest, it might, just, but that graphics card is very weak. Your PC isn't even that bad apart from that, you've got a decent quad core etc. you just need to beef it up a teeny bit more :)

The thing to realise about graphics cards is that they vary hugely in performance, much more so than CPU's. To put it in perspective, the best new Intel quad core CPU is about 2x-3x faster than your Q8300 where as even an older mid-range card like the GTX 560 is about 10x-15x faster than your 210. The GTX 780 is something like 17x-50x faster.

It is worth upgrading if it all possible, but another thing to consider is that your PSU probably isn't great so unless you're willing to replace that too I'd avoid high end cards that require multiple PCI-E power connectors. This new GTX 650 Ti (~6x-20x faster than a 210) would be a good choice for £80:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1GB-GTX-650-Ti-Nvidia-Geforce-1024MB-GDDR5-New-Boxed-DVI-VGA-HDMI-ver-B-DX-11-/281098817854?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item4172cb913e

BigT2themax

Insider
Not sure to be honest, it might, just, but that graphics card is very weak. Your PC isn't even that bad apart from that, you've got a decent quad core etc. you just need to beef it up a teeny bit more :)

The thing to realise about graphics cards is that they vary hugely in performance, much more so than CPU's. To put it in perspective, the best new Intel quad core CPU is about 2x-3x faster than your Q8300 where as even an older mid-range card like the GTX 560 is about 10x-15x faster than your 210. The GTX 780 is something like 17x-50x faster.

It is worth upgrading if it all possible, but another thing to consider is that your PSU probably isn't great so unless you're willing to replace that too I'd avoid high end cards that require multiple PCI-E power connectors. This new GTX 650 Ti (~6x-20x faster than a 210) would be a good choice for £80:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1GB-GTX-650-Ti-Nvidia-Geforce-1024MB-GDDR5-New-Boxed-DVI-VGA-HDMI-ver-B-DX-11-/281098817854?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item4172cb913e
You know, I never thought I'd get awesome hardware advice for potentially running a game from the very developers themselves. You guys are so dang awesome, interacting with the community like this. :D

80 quid sounds pretty dang reasonable for about 10x better graphics compared to what I currently got. I was expecting something much more pricey.

Also, I don't know what PSU means. I assume you mean the motherboard where all the computer bits get connected to, since you mention high-end graphics cards with more connections? Although, nothing in the screenshot says what type of motherboard I'm using, so I guess that's not what you're talking about.

Aaaaand, I've just noticed that the screenshot has my real name on it. Bugger.
Well, I guess that's out there, now.

Edit: Eh? Now it doesn't? Did I just hallucinate that? Am I... am I going insane? :confused:

Last edited:

Brendan

Developer
You know, I never thought I'd get awesome hardware advice for potentially running a game from the very developers themselves. You guys are so dang awesome, interacting with the community like this. :D

80 quid sounds pretty dang reasonable for about 10x better graphics compared to what I currently got. I was expecting something much more pricey.

Also, I don't know what PSU means. I assume you mean the motherboard where all the computer bits get connected to, since you mention high-end graphics cards with more connections? Although, nothing in the screenshot says what type of motherboard I'm using, so I guess that's not what you're talking about.

Aaaaand, I've just noticed that the screenshot has my real name on it. Bugger.
Well, I guess that's out there, now.
Yeah it's a totally worthwhile upgrade :D

PSU is the power supply, graphics cards draw power from the motherboard slot but higher end ones require supplementary (6 or 8 pin PCI-E) connections directly from the PSU. Older, cheaper PSU's don't tend to have these connectors. That card I suggested does need a single 6-pin PCI-E connector, but it comes with a converter like this so you can use 2 molex connections instead (old ghetto ones which you will have plenty of):

I edited out your PC name ;)

BigT2themax

Insider
Aww, gee, Brendan. You're quite possibly the most swell guy in the universe, I'd say! Thank you for your help! :)

I asked my friend about getting what I might need to accomodate a better graphics card and he did mention needing a better power supply. I don't really have spending money right now, but when I do, I'll be sure to get the graphics card you linked there and connect it all up. I can manage that, at least.

If I can get the damn computer case open, that is...

BigT2themax

Insider
2 screws on the back, and then slide the side backwards?
I have no idea. I think it's like that, if I remember correctly. That's what I assumed when I tried to open the case last time, and I recall it took forever because it was so confusing. It definitely opens at the side, though, that's for sure.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.